Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First "Serious" Telescope - Dobs vs Newt?

First real test of my 200pds was tonight and the sky was awesome its a pity we had to give in early due to work and school, roll on the weekend and hopefully clear skies. I might even get out the DSLR and get some 30second shots and compare the views between my old and new kits. If tonight is anything to go by it should be like chalk and cheese.

I do need to try out a goto mount with this kit but that's next years big purchase the wifes already dying of shock at the present expenditure on kit. To her a divorce would be cheaper than astronomy as she can't see the attraction of getting cold to look up at the heavens for hours on end.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm over the moon after the weekends viewing the wife's accused me of neglecting her but the skies have been absolutely awesome. I must admit I'm still trying to get my pod perfectly aligned but the RA motors are a saviour. Anyboby looking for a decent power pack with a built in inverter should check out the jumpstart kits at Maplins they seem quite reasonable. Definately cheaper than skywatchers or celestrons versions. I accidentally found them as I was looking in the store as the had some 130 powerseeker scopes in their window obviously preparing for christmas.

Geoff

I'm over the moon after the weekends viewing the wife's accused me of neglecting her but the skies have been absolutely awesome. I must admit I'm still trying to get my pod perfectly aligned but the RA motors are a saviour. Anyboby looking for a decent power pack with a built in inverter should check out the jumpstart kits at Maplins they seem quite reasonable. Definately cheaper than skywatchers or celestrons versions. I accidentally found them as I was looking in the store as the had some 130 powerseeker scopes in their window obviously preparing for christmas.

Geoff

Are these jump starters deep cycle batteries? I once watched a youtube and it was said that these are not very cost effective in the long run because the battery will die after about a year or so. But it was an old video so things might have changed!

Are these jump starters deep cycle batteries? I once watched a youtube and it was said that these are not very cost effective in the long run because the battery will die after about a year or so. But it was an old video so things might have changed!

I belive they may be but as we have an electric wheelchair in the I know the batteries are only about £20 as we have to buy them regularly. I actually dont think Skywatcher or Celestron's really expensive ones are much better equiped as I have read they have longevity problems due to the same issues. My wifes wheelchair batteries last about 18months trying out a new type Lucas version so hope it lasts longer.

Geoff

Archived