Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What solar filter for C9.25?

maltrabob

Hello,

sorry if this was asked before. I am having a dilemma about what solar filter is better for observing our star. There are two options as far as I know - either a solar foil or a glass. Based on what I was reading using a glass filtrer gives an observer a more true colour of the Sun than a foil one, which is more blue biased. Can anyone with the experience with both filters give me a list of pros and cons for each particular one, please?

Also, my next question closely related to the first one is about enhancing details on the Sun's surface. I am aware that using a Baader Solar Continuum filter can further enhance surface details like granulation and spots. But I was also reading that instead of buying a new filter, owners of OIII filters (which I am one of them) can use them as well with better results.

What do you think or what is your experience?

Thank you and regards,

Rob.

Hello Rob. Quality solar film seems to give better results than glass filters and are less expensive. They are however more susceptible to wear and tear as they cannot be cleaned as glass filters can. Looked after they can however last for years. I don't use continuum filters as I'm not a fan of a green Sun, no idea on the Olll filters, worth a try as you have one.   :smiley: 

Archived