Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading stock 40mm Plossl

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have a 200mm F/4 from Orion USA. Bought back in 2002ish. It is a GSO, which was quickly withdrawn from sale by Orion USA as they though it was a cheapie from Synta or something. So it was sold way too cheap - lucky me. And I concur that the Vixen LVW, despite the small FOV at 50°-ish, were wonderful EP's. Sharp to the edge and super-clear. I have 3 of them - wish I'd bought the whole fleet.

You won't go wrong with a 40mm from any company mentioned. Your Celestron Evo is a fine scope, and will do well with most EP's out there. The exception being very high-powered ones as you could max-out the usable magnification. A 6.3 focal-reducer is a great suggestion. That will be like having two telescopes with excellent optics. With a top-quality diagonal, you'll be set for just about everything. I use dielectric diagonals from William Optics, and like them so much that I have 3 of them. Mine are older ones - before they started using carbon-fibre in their construction. So I imagine they're still excellent, but I can't be sure without a newer one to bench-test.

Enjoy!

Dave

I too have a 200mm F/4 from Orion USA. Bought back in 2002ish. It is a GSO, which was quickly withdrawn from sale by Orion USA as they though it was a cheapie from Synta or something. So it was sold way too cheap - lucky me. And I concur that the Vixen LVW, despite the small FOV at 50°-ish, were wonderful EP's. Sharp to the edge and super-clear. I have 3 of them - wish I'd bought the whole fleet....

Those must have been the Vixen LV's Dave. The LVW's have always been 65 degrees except for the 2" ones.

Incidentally, Orion (USA) also marketed the LV's and LVW's under their branding and called the Lanthanum and Lanthanum Superwides. Vixen used to make quite a lot of stuff for Orion a few years back.

Archived