NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with polar alignment (AZEQ6)?

I have a new AZEQ6 mount, no OTA yet.This is my first time with an equatorial setup. I've been practising polar alignment, and it has me puzzled. I understand the basic principles, but what I'm seeing doesn't match the examples on the Internet.

Online tutorials for the EQ5 or EQ6 tend to be based on aligning the RA index scale, date circle, and date/longtitude index mark:

namingofparts.jpg

I have three problems following these tutorials;

1. When I look through the polar scope and rotate Polaris to the 6 o'clock position, I end up with the counterweight bar pointing almost (but not quite) straight upwards. I suppose this means I can't attach the OTA and weights until after polar alignment. I don't see any way to rotate the polar scope so the OTA is on top when Polaris is at the 6 o'clock position.

2. On my AZEQ6, the RA index scale is quite a distance from the date circle. It's not really feasible to align the RA index scale with the Longtitude scale/date circle. And the RA index mark is on the side of the mount rather than above the polar scope.

3. There's an index marker on the Date Circle, but the marker is behind the polar scope. I don't see how it can be aligned with anything else. Here's what the AZEQ6 looks like from behind:

AZ-EQ6-schnecke.jpg

From playing about, this simplified process seems to work, although I don't think it can be very accurate:

1. Rotate polaris to approx. 6 o'clock in the polar scope.
2. Rotate the RA index scale so the RA index mark points to zero.
3. Look at an app like Polar Finder, for the "HA" direction of Polaris in degrees.
4. Rotate the mount in RA until the RA pointer points to the "HA" value.
5. Lock, Put polaris into the circle in the polar scope.

I feel like a monkey in a nuclear power station; I'm sure all these markers and rings can help, but I don't see how. Does anybody hve any suggestions?

Thanks.

The circles are confusing and many have found that the ones on their mount are difficult to use. I used to just get the Hour angle for Polaris from the Synscan handset, say 10:45, then use this to put Polaris on the circle in the reticule at a point judged by eye to be where the hour hand of a clock would be pointing for that time, ie close to the 11 o'clock position. Then do a 2 or 3 star alignment. Then use the Polar align routine in the Synscan handset to refine alignment. This is fine for visual use. If imaging I used EQmodon my laptop to help (great free software prog) see YouTube for tuition video. Now I use the excellent Alignmaster software. There's a free 30 day trial and it's only 14 € when the trial ends. You do need a laptop out with you, but if imaging you probably would have one anyway. Very easy to use and very accurate. There is an Astronomy Shed video demo on YouTube.

There is also a free ioptron app which shows where Polaris should be in the polarscope. Again good enough for visual work.

I never use the setting circles. Hope this helps.

Thanks Geordie, that makes sense. It's good to hear I'm not the only one scratching my head looking at the circles.

I did buy AlignMaster some time ago, but because I had a fork-mounted SCT, never got to use it. Maybe now is its time to shine.

Me i would forget all about the polar scope and the circles, use the handset to do PA, its easy, 2 star align, when successful scroll through the alignment option and there will be a polar alignment option do that on any star from a flick through list, run it a couple of times, that 2 star (different stars each time) and the a PA on a different star, its handy to have something like a telrad so you can see what way to wind the t-bolts, i use a guide scope aligned to the main scope so its all done on a PC screen while sitting next t the mount.....

Archived