NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The social groups forum ...

kev100

Hi, didn't know where else to post this, but I was wondering about setting up a Dorset SGL users social group. Anyone else in Dorset interested in this? To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised there isn't one already. 

Could use it to arrange meet ups, observing sessions, etc.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Kev.

Can I just add a slight addition to this: How about all the Social Groups have sections for each county? Including Dorset as requested.

Just I find that East Anglia is pointless, Norwich, Ipswich, Cambridge are all in East Anglia and a one and a half hours drive from each other on fast roads. I worked at BT in Ipswich and it is a long drive and distance and that is just between easy location on the A12.

The Norwich/Norfolk people will not really be concerned with Cambridge activities unless it is a conference and vice versa.

Personally I'm not a fan of the social group sections of SGL, they were originally part of a previous piece of software that we used. And the concept was to aid local meets etc for certain areas.

All that's happened is that they have sucked posts away from the main sections of SGL into parts of the forum that only a very small minority ever get to see. So what was supposed to be a section for social meets, now has post on equipment, observing, imaging, off topic and even classified posts...

So, I'll give it some thought Kev, but I have to admit to not being keen on setting more up.

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant,

That's okay. I'd actually envisaged the local groups working as you described (for arranging meet ups, discussing local matters, etc). I hadn't realised they'd detracted from the main forums.

I'm happy to leave it up to you.

Cheers,

Kev

......................   the social group sections of SGL, they were originally part of a previous piece of software that we used. And the concept was to aid local meets etc for certain areas.

All that's happened is that they have sucked posts away from the main sections of SGL into parts of the forum that only a very small minority ever get to see. So what was supposed to be a section for social meets, now has post on equipment, observing, imaging, off topic and even classified posts...  ........................

Interesting.  Presently 18 out of the 23 groups have less than 1000 posts since they started a few years ago, and only 2 that are around the 10,000 post mark, which seems a miniscule amount considering the overall number of forum posts to date.  If there are issues with social group threads drawing interest away from the main forums I'm curious as to why they haven't  been previously addressed ?  I can't speak for others, but personally I would have no problem with Admin relocating any topics to where it feels is a more appropriate location for the benefit of all SGL members.

Archived