Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Older AZ-EQ6GT motor firmware and loader

Paul81

Hi All,

My AZEQ6GT mount is bricked!!!  :huh:

I updated the latest Synscan firmware (from 3.36 to 3.37) with no issues, and then saw on the skywatcher website that a new version of motor firmware was available (2.11) and the update software (1.63) - however this failed and now the motor controller has no firmware and so the whole mount will not work.

I have tried running the motor firmware update utility on three machines, using a FTDI USB to RS232 converter, and also on a machine with a built-in (non-USB) RS232 port.

I do not think the motor firmware update utility is the best piece of engineering as even the instructions say it might fail and just run it again until it works.

Sadly it doesn't seem to work at all and fails at random points during the update....

I have emailed skywatcher but so far no response! Not happy!

I do not believe I am doing anything wrong (I am in the IT industry plus I write Lodestar Live so know my way around electronics, computers and software...).

Does anyone have an older version of the firmware and update utility? This is the next best thing I can think of to try. Also any other ideas would be hugely appreciated!

I might even try to reverse engineer the RS232 protocol and write my own software update utility which doesn't seem so useless...

Well I've tried an older firmware and firmware loader utility and the same result!

Also still not heard from skywatcher - I've contacted both skywatcher.com and skywatcherusa.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I tried 2.10 with 1.62 firmware update utility and still no joy.

My next step is to downgrade the synscan version to see if that is causing the motor control update to fail.

Still nothing from skywatcher - very unimpressed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI There,

To answer your question "

Does anyone have an older version of the firmware and update utility? This is the next best thing I can think of to try. Also any other ideas would be hugely appreciated!

"

And YES I  still do, i have an OLD ONE MC FW and LOADER.. from my EQ6 Days (I sold it and I have a Losmandy G11 now and SOOO HAPPY & never again EQ.. whatever Version !) I have both LOADER and FW..

MCFirmwareLoader Ver. 1.22

EQ6_MotorController_Firmware_V0204.mcf

If that could help you ? i can upload it somewhere and you can have them..

Else, I would ! wait for answer from Skywatcher.. else you could damage your MC and then you must change the Circuits..

bye and GOOD LUCK !

Martin

OVL are the UK distributor for Skywatcher, you should get a response from them.

FW updates can often fail through a Serial to USB adapter (not all adapters are made equally) if you have access to a PC with a real serial port then try the update with that.  Sorry just read your post through again.

Archived