NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Must be good "seeing" conditions tonight.

LukeSkywatcher

I was just looking outside and i spotted Altair high up in the south. Close to it, in the 1 o' clock position i noticed a faint red/orange star. Ive never seen this before. Apparently its name is Tarazed. 

Interesting star.

From WiKi:

Gamma Aquilae is a relatively young star with an age of about 100 million years. Nevertheless, it has reached a stage of its evolution where it has consumed the hydrogen at its core and expanded into what is termed a bright giant star, with a stellar classification of K3 II.[3] The star is now burning helium intocarbon in its core. After it has finished generating energy through nuclear fusion, Gamma Aquilae will become a white dwarf.[11]

The interferometry-measured angular diameter of Gamma Aquilae is 7.271±0.073 mas,[12] which, at its estimated distance, equates to a physical radius of about 95 times the radius of the Sun.[7] With almost six times the Sun's mass, this is an enormous star that is radiating over 2500 times the luminosity of the Sun.[6] An effective temperature of 4210 K in its outer envelope gives it the orange hue typical of K-type stars.[8][13]

A lot of the most obvious visual stars have very interesting stories, such as the Garnet Star in Cepheus, Deneb and Arcturus etc.

Ages ago I put a post on about looking at stars as well as the elusive dark sky targets.

Don't forget the stars !

Nick.

Archived