Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OAG and QHY5/lii colour

HI, last questions about this, promise!

Unfortunately my purchase of the QHY5 II mono fell through so I'm still looking. My question is, if I bought the new QHY5Lii colour and used it through an OAG (bearing in mind I live in Cyprus and the skies are beautifully clear) would it be sensitive enough for guiding. I've read somewhere else that I may struggle with this version? The other option is an original mono version.

Thanks again,

Steve

my qhy5liic works fine for guiding through a guidescope, no issues in finding stars at all.  Can't speak for using it through an OAG though.

I've used a QHY5-II and QHY5-11L monos with an OAG and (IMO) they are just not up to snuff with and OAG but great for guidescopes, I'll be looking at a Lodestar when galaxy season comes round again.

The colour versions would "work" but will be very frustrating, personally I wouldn't even consider it.

I've used a QHY5-II and QHY5-11L monos with an OAG and (IMO) they are just not up to snuff with and OAG but great for guidescopes, I'll be looking at a Lodestar when galaxy season comes round again.

The colour versions would "work" but will be very frustrating, personally I wouldn't even consider it.

I can't share your experience, and tests comparing sensitivity of a Lodestar and a QHY5L-II show per unit of sensor area the QHY is considerably more sensitive. Frankly, Ive heard no other experiences like yours all others very positive. Perhaps other factors are at play in your case.

I can't share your experience, and tests comparing sensitivity of a Lodestar and a QHY5L-II show per unit of sensor area the QHY is considerably more sensitive. Frankly, Ive heard no other experiences like yours all others very positive. Perhaps other factors are at play in your case.

The current Lodestar (X2) has a similar sensitivity but it's pixels are four times larger and it can be hardware binned which makes it a far superior camera for an OAG at longer focal lengths.

At shorter focal lengths and with guidescopes the QHY's pixel size is less of an issue but the Lodestar is still a superior camera.

Archived