Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optec Pyxis LE field rotator

beka

Hi All,

I have finally decided to try my hand at astrophotography. I have a CPC 1100 so I need either an equatorial wedge or a field rotator for long exposure photography. I am tending toward the field rotator because a)it will be difficult and probably expensive to ship in the bulky wedge to where I live and B) the thought of the CPC cantilevered almost horizontally because of my  9 degree latitude location kind of frightens me.  My question is does anyone have experience with this or any other field rotator for long exposure photography.

Best

• 5 years later...
3 minutes ago, Silent Running said:

Hi, Geetings from Saudi Arabia. I just came across your post. Did you ever go ahead with the Pyxis LE field rotator?

I have one I use for setting PA but not field derotation.  It works well. If you have a specific question I may be able to help.

Regards Andrew 

Oh Hi, thanks :)

I am interested in using one with an Altaz mount specifically for field rotation...  Any ideas? You don't hear much about field rotators for this purpose. I have a TTS Panther altaz mount which has a telescope rotator but I was wondering about just a camera rotator, which could image for longer without a rewind

On 18/10/2020 at 19:22, andrew s said:

I have one I use for setting PA but not field derotation.  It works well. If you have a specific question I may be able to help.

Regards Andrew 

Hi Silent Running, no I didn't get the field derotator. So far I have just taken short up to 30 second exposures and stacked them with the software doing the derotation. I would like to hear from someone who as experience with the device to know how practical and easy it will be to use.

Best

Meant to quote Silent Running's post...

Edited by beka
Quoted wrong post...

On 18/10/2020 at 19:17, Silent Running said:

Hi, Geetings from Saudi Arabia. I just came across your post. Did you ever go ahead with the Pyxis LE field rotator?

Hi Silent Running, no I didn't get the field derotator. So far I have just taken short up to 30 second exposures and stacked them with the software doing the derotation. I would like to hear from someone who as experience with the device to know how practical and easy it will be to use.

Best