Recommendations Please

Paulie

I would like a set of eyepiece filters and a Barlow lens for my forth coming birthday. The problem is that I do not know what the best ones would be for my wife to buy for a reasonable budget. So could anyone recommend perhaps a set of the basic eyepieces? I would like a lunar and planetary filters as a basic. I know Skywatcher do a set for about £150 but are these any good?

If you own the Skyliner, any eyepiece in my signature will work fine for your scope. They should also work well on the Explorer. I dont use filters for visual use. These are basic EPs that work extremely well on an f/5.9 scope and for their cost alone makes them awesome value. Order an 8mm Starguider from Skys-the-limit on ebay. If you dont like it, send it back. You wont know until you try. Eyepieces, the most subjective purchases next to the telescope? You could go premium and buy some Tele Vue Naggler or Delos eyepieces, these are quality EPs that will work very well, especially on faster focal ratio telescopes, due to their design, and proven ability, something to consider should you need to upgrade to a bigger Newtonian in the future. This way you would not need to replace your EPs?

It would be nice to own those premium EPs, but not neccessary for the 200P.

Its your money, your choice.

Depends on the eyepieces in the set, however they are generally basic eyepieces, some it seems are not even plossls and for a birthday I would have thought they fell more into the catagory of use them for a while then get better and move the kit items on. So not really something to keep.

Not sure what you mean by planetary filters, I would not count the coloured things as planetary filters. The items referred to as Planetary Filters have been in the £80+ bracket.

A moon filter you may find useful, as an individual item they are about £15.

Taking the easy way out go consider the BST Starguiders at £49 each, StL, 2 shortish one and a longish one.

For a half set that I take out for ease I have the 5mm, 8mm and 25mm.

You could equally go for say the 8mm, 12mm and 25mm, depends if the magnification of the 5mm is required, however planets are scarse at present so it is a bit less important and you will use the 8mm, 12mm and 25mm a lot I would expect.

These tend to perform well and as a birthday item look good, I would suggest that you then simply add an additional one to the collection every so often

Great thank you for all your responses and I have enough to digest now and will have a look at your recommendations.

Many thanks to all

Best wishes

Paul

Archived