Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG-3 mount - GOTO upgrade

fredman

Hi all

I have a AM 130EQ with a CG-3 mount and i was wondering if it is possible to upgrade with a goto system or does it have to be the mount altogether, if it is even possible.

The telescope is farelly recent and it was a gift from my parents on my last birthday, so the possibillity of a intirely new scope is off the table for the time being.

Can you gurus shine a light on the subject?

Thanks

For DSO photography with a DSLR you will be limited to exposures of about 30sec max before you get field rotation with the AZ-GOTO. For planetary/lunar imaging this won't matter. You also need to consider the total payload to be carried by the mount. To ensure that the mount is not overloaded you should try to stay below 2/3 of the payload capacity of the mount. The EQ3-2 has a payload capacity of about 7kg, so the payload (telescope, camera, guidescope/camera) should be about 5kg or less.

Archived