Scope Case

Horwig

Just bought one of these:

http://www.trifibre.co.uk/plano-medium-military-storage-trunk-black.html

And look what I've just got to go in it :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

post-6754-0-37533800-1437051429_thumb.jp

The case is just the job for scopes, lightweight, but plenty rigid enough, they also do a longer version, and the prices are good.

Now need to sort out packing foam, don't think the standard case foam is hard enough to go under the scope, I plan in keeping it on the dovetail, less rigging work, but the small footprint of the bar will crush the normal soft foam.

Anybody played with packing foam with words of wisdom to share?

Huw

Try Curry's. They have all size of fridges, washing machines, etc on display so they will have plenty large pieces of polystyrene knocking about that you could cut in to cradles and place in the bottom of your box. Hot wire is usually the best thing for cutting polystyrene but I'm sure a sharp hacksaw blade will do just as good a job. 

Cyfarchion Mark a Damian.

The Scope case progesses. Thanks Mark for the heads up on efoam, what a good site.

Here's the scope on it's dovetail, the ota is raised 50mm off the bar to clear the focus motor, it also means I will probably not have to do meridian flips for most imaging runs. The whole imaging train is short, and the spacer lifts the filter wheel out of the way of the mount.

post-6754-0-24328300-1437515805_thumb.jp

Anyway, from the bottom up, I started with an old yoga mat, (who need yoga?) cut into sheets, about 20mm in total.

Then, two layers of 25mm closed cell foam, (very stiff), the dovetail is let into the upper layer.

Then comes a layer of 50mm packing foam, into which sits the rest of the dovetail and spacer assembly, and supports the ota, the section under the dew shield is cut away to hold everything level:

post-6754-0-05443300-1437515046_thumb.jp

Then the second layer of 50mm packing foam:

post-6754-0-23444600-1437515049_thumb.jp

I marked all the measurements onto masking tape, and cut with a brand new craft knife (or Stanley if you don't mind the product placement), and a bread knife, (don't mention that to the wife).

Here's the baby in place:

post-6754-0-86736300-1437515051_thumb.jp

And finally in the cover of the case a sheet of egg crate foam to finish off:

post-6754-0-15475300-1437515056_thumb.jp

All that's left to do is clean up...

post-6754-0-99968900-1437515059_thumb.jp

that, and glue everything together with the supplied glue from efoam.

Total cost:

Case £ 37.45

Foam and adhesive, £ 50.27

All this is aimed at a big adventure in October, off to stay at Olly's in Provence, and then a travelling holiday back through Switzerland and Germany, so a well packed scope is a must, don't want it knocking against all the wine bottles we intend bringing home :grin:  :rolleyes:

Huw

Archived