First hardware purchase; Trustworthiness of craigslist purchases?

I'm wanting to get in to Astrophotography and i'm of course seeing what I expected; this is NOT a cheap hobby by any means.

I already have a Nikon D3200 that I am pretty comfortable with using and now need to look for my entry level scope.  I see a few for sale in my immediate area on Craigslist and i'm curious if others would feel safe in going this route.

I have bought from CL many times over the years for various things, but dealing with Optics is usually a scary proposition as even a minute change in the lens orientation can throw the whole image off and i've essentially bought a lemon.

Just curious that if I did attempt it, what kinds of questions should I ask, and what range should I expect to pay for an entry level scope.

Thanks in advance!

first off you should be able to go and check it out, make sure the optics are good, the condition of the mount/tripod and the acessories. even in the day you can tell if the optics are good though if a newt the image will be flipped. 

i have been combing over the DFW craigslist as well just daydreaming and some of them are not very good deals, one of the celestron scopes that is listed at 500 is actually 450 NIB with warranty.

just do your research, set up a meeting time to view through the scope and inspect it all.

just dont go and meet with the cash on hand, lots of preditory criminals out there on CL

i have been combing over the DFW craigslist as well just daydreaming and some of them are not very good deals, one of the celestron scopes that is listed at 500 is actually 450 NIB with warranty.

I saw that one that you are talking about and was curious about it, which prompted this post. 

I guess i'll keep my eyes open and comparitive shop like a mad man! lol

As a guide, used gear here in the UK seems to go for around 60%-70% of the new price assuming that the condition is good, optics perfect and all is in working condition. From the prices I see on Astromart and the Cloudynights Classifieds I believe that it's similar in the USA.

As a guide, used gear here in the UK seems to go for around 60%-70% of the new price assuming that the condition is good, optics perfect and all is in working condition. From the prices I see on Astromart and the Cloudynights Classifieds I believe that it's similar in the USA.

Thanks for that!  I know what to expect now.  :)

I would recommend you get hold of a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards. This book will answer all the questions you have regarding Astro Photography, read it before you do anything else and it could save you a load of time and money.

Hi 'DsmEvolution' and welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

Don't want to appear negative here... Going it alone? then it is going to be tough... unless you know of what you are looking at optically & mechanically. 'Gutross' has summed up what I was going to say. My two Cat's, (the ETX & C6 in my signature), were purchased from ebaand I count myself lucky they were not lemons. I did end up being red as a beetroot when I replied to an advert for a part for the ETX and paid for it, (via money transfer), and it did not arrive; (plus numerous emails & phone calls to the seller); when I realised what had happened.  :mad:  But hey, that's life and another story...

Now being positive. If I were you, I would join a local club/society and attend a few star-parties first. Ask the owners what they like/dislike about their 'scope(s) and have a look at and through them. What may be good for one may not be good for you.  :icon_salut:

I know a tad bit about optics, but admittedly not enough to really be of any use to me at this point.  I honestly don't know anyone else who is in to this as a hobby and could show me the ropes as it were.  That's one of the reasons why I searched and found this site.  I'm a firm believer in messages boards and getting to know people with similar interest.  Hoping I can meet a few people to bounce questions off of and get in to this a bit more.

So far from just the few replies in here, it seems like everyone is rather helpful and welcoming so I honestly couldn't ask for me!  This is going to be interesting and ultimately expensive, but i'm good with eaten ramen for my dinners! lol

I would recommend you get hold of a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards. This book will answer all the questions you have regarding Astro Photography, read it before you do anything else and it could save you a load of time and money.

Man, this books looks like it's hard to get a hold of.  Any reccomendations for books that might be available for Kindle or Nook?

The book should be easy to get direct from me!

Www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Printed paper only though, no electronic version

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

ive been wanting that book for awhile now, just cant  ever get the cash saved,

Archived