NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomy at a summer show

jambouk

My local Astronomical Society has a stand (tent) at a day time summer show at the weekend; there will be a solar scope and the society meteorite (which is quite large).

I just don't know what to take or do as part of the outfit. Has anyone seen or done anything which the public and/or kids have found engaging at such an event?

James

Hi James, I have used quizzes, varied fruit to challenge people and teach them how planets have seasons/phases etc, a 'Rockit' kit which is great if you have some space (see the Science Museum website) and scopes for solar and daytime viewing of Venus and Jupiter.

Ok. Ordered some planets off Amazon to have on show hanging, and going to do a quiz; not sure how to do the quiz without printing hundreds of sheets of paper (worried about environmental cost rather than financial).

James

Apparently we already have two other [non-solar] telescopes on show, but it's a good idea about pointing at something terrestrial (and well away from the sun!).

I've knocked up a simple quiz which I'll laminate and which can be used to generate discussion.

Thanks for the ideas.

James

Ah yes, the sun - you could do some old-school solar projections with a cheap 'scope. It's easy to demonstrate and something people with their own cheap scope can do for themselves at home. I found it very satisfying to do during the eclipse

Richard

I just don't know what to take or do

What goals does your Astro Soc have for being at the show? Hopefully there is a consensus about what you're trying to achieve. Is it to attract new members, to promote an event, to collect money, to entertain, to raise awareness of astronomy or something like light pollution.

I assume someone already has printed up some contact leaflets for the club. It might be worthwhile swotting up on the up-coming events so if anyone asks "what's this talk on Minor Planets all about, then?" you'll have been briefed.

Rather than a quiz, how about a 1-pager (double sided, natch) on what you could see: a photo of Jupiter, an explanation of the seasons and how the sky varies from summer to winter. The phases of the Moon and some stuff about meteor showers in August and December. Maybe even a finder chart or summat.

[Afterthought] If there's time, you could publicise a "telescope workshop" where people could bring in all their badly set up and poorly adjusted telescopes - the ones they bought after watching Stargazing Live, used once couldn't see anything any put in the cupboard under the stairs. Even if you only fixed up and aligned half a dozen it would be a worthwhile way to help people for free.

More good ideas, thank you.

We are going to direct people to the Society's Journal which has the sky watch information on, and try to get people to engage with us electronically about that. Yes, we have programme cards and some buisness-type cards with information on and contact details. 

Our September meeting is a telescope workshop so good idea to promote that!

James

It webt very well. Got some planets and a cheap orrery off amazon which created lots of discussion. Pictures, some books and magazines, the society meteorite, various scopes, the quiz, was all well recoeved and i think we encouraged some people who have wanted to know more to get up and find out more (including potentially coming along to our meetings) and also engaged some people who have never before had an interest. As always, the mids were asking the most difficult questions

Good fun.

Archived