Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2-Inch or 1.25 Camera Adapter...make a difference?

Purchased a 2" camera adapter for my refractor to use for straight-through planetary shooting with a DSLR (Nikon D300s), but a 1.25 was accidentally placed in the bag.

Got home, noticed and called the 'scope store.  Rep says, "No real difference unless you use a full-size sensor (I don't).  Not an answer I would have expected as it is counter-intuitive to the thinking that a bigger light pallet would provide larger and perhaps richer light at various stops.

So, the big question:  will it make a difference?

Thx!

Marc

first off. i would think a 2"vs a 1.25" would be a price diffrence and they should make it right. it apreaded as though they brushed you off hoping to keep that extra GP

as for the diffrence they are probably right, unless the sensor is partially blocked by the adapter it should not be an issue.  the real issue at hand is my first statement

I prefer a 2" on my DSLR as I did get vignetting with the small one , even on an APS-C chip , but this was with Solar / Lunar full disc shooting. 

For planets an 1-1/4" would be fine as they're much smaller .

My 2" also takes the glass element of my 2" Barlow which gives loads of options of focal length too.

And my 2" filters ...  :p

first off. i would think a 2"vs a 1.25" would be a price diffrence and they should make it right. it apreaded as though they brushed you off hoping to keep that extra GP

as for the diffrence they are probably right, unless the sensor is partially blocked by the adapter it should not be an issue.  the real issue at hand is my first statement

thx....store offered a refund of the diffrence or swap at my option....will have to hit the optical sites to read up on why "more would not be more" when the light reaches the senor level, but good news it does not.  Further good news is the 1.25 accepts my 1.25 eyepieces, so away we go.  Now....if we just have a decent piece of sky to peer at!!!!  Last couple of weeks has been clouds/t'stroms and ground fog.  C'mon, October!!!  :-)

Thx

Marc 

I prefer a 2" on my DSLR as I did get vignetting with the small one , even on an APS-C chip , but this was with Solar / Lunar full disc shooting. 

For planets an 1-1/4" would be fine as they're much smaller .

My 2" also takes the glass element of my 2" Barlow which gives loads of options of focal length too.

And my 2" filters ...  :p

Steve-

So, as you mention it, an "Ah hah!" moment....  I now get the notion that, let's say, when Saturn transits the eyepiece, it takes about 40 seconds.  So, during that time, the camera sensor could care less about whether it is a larger transit or a smaller one, as long as it is in the clear for a few hundred frames or so........do I have it right?

Marc

If you're using the 72/430 refractor in your signature you will be mightily disappointed at the image scale of Saturn or Jupiter on your DSLR chip ...  :embarrassed:

the 5mm eyepiece greatly helps scope-wise.   does not translate to the sensor?

With a 2x Barlow you get this .... 

attachicon.gifeee.PNG

With a 5x Barlow you get this ....

attachicon.gifddd.PN

Gadzooks!!!  (or, perhaps "cor" or "blimey" in Newmarket?).....thanks for accelerating me up the learning curve.....

1.  did hit the 'scope store yesterday, and learned more about the 2" vs 1.25 question.  Decided will stay with the 1.25 for my first attempts at Nikon stills and vid.  I can run in the 12mm and 5mm within the adaptor and see what turns up on the sensor.  Of course, on the 5mm, Saturn will race across the lens, and honestly, be photo-worthy in the center area.

2.  thanks for the schooling via images......what the heck is that which produced them?  Cool that it apparently allows variance analysis based upon equipment options!

Marc

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.php?year=2019  here is where the image examples came from

Great stuff......thx.  Will validate their math on the very first open sky.....been cloudy/milky/soupy skies here for the last two weeks with record rain.   Looking for a " refractor that is relatively compact, but "no go".....

Marc

Great stuff......thx.  Will validate their math on the very first open sky.....been cloudy/milky/soupy skies here for the last two weeks with record rain.   Looking for a " refractor that is relatively compact, but "no go".....

Marc

that's "6 inch"....

Archived