Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White balance for modded 1100d ?

Hello All

Usually with my un-modded 550d I would use a Tungsten balance, but seen as I'm going to be using my newly self - modded camera (with an LP filter) tonight on Cygnus, I was wondering if that might be too much blue ? after all it's the juicy reds I'm hoping for.....
On another note, I have the idea from somewhere that white balance is irellevant as you can opt to not use the cameras white balance in DSS, is this correct ?
If so then I've nothing to worry about.
Any other tips on extracting as much red as I can get would be most appreciated
Regards
Lee

White balance for RAW is not such an issue.

I always used my 60Da with CLS on daylight, yes this was quite blue.

To be correct unmodded should be daylight and modded should have a custom white balance or

white balance on a G2V star during image processing or manually adjust the white points during image processing.

Have a read of this.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/CUSTOMWB.HTM

Hi,

If you are using a CLS LP filter as I do and wxsatuser does, then leave the white balance as daylight or auto, as the CLS filter is designed to correct the white balance of a modded Canon camera, try it in the daytime with a normal lens, take a picture with the CLS filter in place and see what I mean, the picture will come out almost correct, then take on without it and all reddy pink.

This is one of the great things about these LP filters, they were designed especially for astro modded cameras, you can use them in an unmodded camera but they then put a green blue hue on the images, which is quite hard to get rid of in processing, but is possible.

When I talk about the CLS filter I mean the Astronomik version, as there are other cheaper ones.

Hope that helps :)

AB

Archived