Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astwood Observatory - let the new build commence (8 pics )

Robd

Had a good week on the new observatory build. Well not so much build as destruction -

The old and rather sad observatory

5416_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

and some of the internal damage to the dome. We also discovered that one corner of the roof had also let in enough water to rot the wood although we had never observed any water ingress.

5417_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Cut the dome into 5 pieces

5418_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Had to make these guys and many others homeless

5419_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

5420_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

First of two loads ready for the tip

5421_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Old pillar came in handy

5422_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Moday saw the start of the new footings

5423_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Steve came down at the weekend to primarily help me pack up the LX200 a bit too heavy for me to risk alone and Sue has no grip. Packed the Meade and the Skywatcher away as well as all the other bits and pieces.

Sunday turned out quite pleasant so Steve and I started to strip out the electrics. It all went so well that we got carried away and demolished the lot. Amazing what can be accomplished with brute strength, ignorance, an alligator saw and a big crow bar - in five hours by two not so young blokes.

I was very pleased with the result. The site , apart from the pier, was cleared, the trailer was full ready for the first trip to the tip and the rest of the rubbish was moved to the drive ready for the second trip.

Monday saw all the rubbish removed - So long observatory, you served us well - 1999 - 2008.

Anyway enough of this sentimentality on with the new build. Monday and Tuesday saw the completion of the footings. Waiting now for the delivery of large quantities of building materials - due tomorrow. Looking forward to that - 2 ton of ballast to shift - yipee. ;):(

The old stump will remain it sits under the edge of the ring for the Skywatcher's turret so will stay as a very sturdy 'pit prop'.

More pictures etc. as progress is made.

Rob

You seemed to clear the site pretty quick.

I shall be taking my obs down in June and replacing it with a slightly bigger one. It will have to built round the existing concrete pillar. The old obs been up since 1990 , so its not done badly.

John

post-13061-133877340598_thumb.jpg

It's always nice to get some help Rob, and two pair of willing hands can accomplish a lot in a short time.

Your old Obs. was not dissimilar to my own, which has also given way to a more aesthetic enclosure. At least I think so. Steve is bang on with the spider population in a dome. Mine was alive with them, but I just tolerated them, and left alone in an environment like a dome, they do tend to grow a bit bigger than usual.

Please keep us in touch with the new build.

Ron. ;)

Archived