NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

June 28, 2015: AR2371 gave a parting shot

Just had an early-morning session in H-alpha. AR2371 is still visible, just on the limb (parts are already beyond). I spotted two bright hook-shaped bulges on the limb right at the position of the AR. I got my imaging fired up and captured it before getting data for a complete mosaic. It is a good thing I did, because it faded whilst taking the mosaic. I did spot a thin, linear structure at a 45° angle with the limb, which looked like remnants of a surge

On the eastern limb, a new set of sunspots is visible, so as AR2371 bows out, a new AR is incoming. It does not look as active as AR2371.

I also tested how far I could push magnification, and much to my surprise, I could still see prominences easily at 160x and beyond. Light throughput of this Solar Spectrum filter must be good, despite the 0.3Å bandwidth

Nice report Michael,

We have had nothing but rain here so far today and it doesn't look like anything is about to happen that is going to change it.

The spectrum filter sounds rather interesting, do you have any reading material on them ?

Archived