Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wall Construction

richyrich_one

Hi

I thought this question might be better in it's own thread rather than buried in my build thread...

Of all the builds I've seen on here none seem to employ a void between the cladding and inner wall/breather membrane

From my research this seems to be the accepted method of construction. With the void in place any weather that does get through can drain and the outer cladding can dry easily. It also prevents any moisture reaching the inner wall. It would add only a small extra cost of roofing battens and stainless gauze top and bottom to prevent pest ingress.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is there a good reason why this isn't employed? What have I missed?

I have a void in mine.

Basically I built a frame out of C16 treated timber and the inside walls are 11mm OSB.

The outside is corrurgated bitumen sheeting that goes from ground level to under the eves, .It's completely water tight.

The roof is flat with about a 1foot overhang all round, it slightly slopes for drainage.

The eves are fully open for a nice airflow all round, no need for a dehumidifier, never gets condensation.

The roof is also 11mm OSB covered with heavy grade shed felt

I have a void in mine.

Basically I built a frame out of C16 treated timber and the inside walls are 11mm OSB.

The outside is corrurgated bitumen sheeting that goes from ground level to under the eves, .It's completely water tight.

The roof is flat with about a 1foot overhang all round, it slightly slopes for drainage.

The eves are fully open for a nice airflow all round, no need for a dehumidifier, never gets condensation.

The roof is also 11mm OSB covered with heavy grade shed felt

An interesting solution...Thanks

Archived