Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I need some opinions. UHC/LPR, and O III, filters

I just received my Celestron filter kit tonight. I tested her out and loved them. The kit is great value for the money as long as you don't expect professional grade ep's. I'm very happy with the quality of the filters. My question is how effective are O III filters and UHC/LPR filters on a small scope? I have a Celestron 127eq. Still my first and only scope. Ill be getting a 8 or 10 inch dobsonian within the next few months. I'll be transferring ep's and filters to the next scope. So... What are your opinions on the above listed filters for a 5 inch scope? What about an 8 or 10 inch dob? Thanks for the help!

If you can have only one, than get a UHC. LPR filters are useful only on few selective targets, but generally just waste of money. Nebulae filter performance depends not on the scope size but on the power used, usually 3.5x-9.9x/inch of aperture according to David Knisely. Check out these classical articles by David Knisely unless you've done that.

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/useful-filters-for-viewing-deep-sky-objects/

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep that in mind. I've researched the O III filters. They're pretty much restricted to planetary and emission nebula correct?

Both O-III and UHC type filters have this restriction. I've found they work best on planetary nebulae and supernova remnants. Some of these objects become much more apparent and interesting with the application of one of these filters when they were all but invisible without :smiley:

I use O-III fitlers in scopes down to 102mm in aperture and they work very well. The Astronomik O-III is particularly good in this respect.

Archived