Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

would this work?

To be honest that looks like a pretty poor idea , knowing how hard the Mak is to precisely focus I imagine that as soon as you let go of the flex-shaft the focus will shift.

Better of with a larger disc fitted over the focuser to allow finer control by hand or a motor-focus mod .

Motor-focuser mod thread here courtesy of JamesF ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/135260-127-mak-motor-drive-focuser/?hl=%2Bmak+%2B127+%2Bmotor+%2Bfocus#entry1351821

You would need to know if the manual focus handle bit that you turn can be removed and then the diameter of the shaft that remains.

I have these on a couple of small Meades (70 and 105) and they work fine, I suspect they came from the same place as the address is Essex.

Checked old email and it is the same person.

Will say they were very good and helpful when we had a small mishap over the order.

As I recall the scope end of the flexi-shaft has a plastic insert that can be removed to enable it to fit a larger diameter shaft.

They work quite well in that altering focus is a lot easier - was using a scope fitted with one at the weekend and no problems.

Whether or not they are compatible with a 127 Mak I have no specific idea, but if the problem is simply one of convenience turning the focus adjustment then they are fine, they do not make it finer or more precise, just more convenient.

You need a vernier gauge to determine the diameter of whatever is on the 127.

I used to use one with my ETX105 and found zero focus-shift when I let go.

The focus shaft on the ETX is 4mm. The idea is that when the ETX series 'scopes reach the zenith, they ease focusing as there is very little space/room between the OTA and the fork mount assembly to put your finger & thumb and reduce unnecessary vibration. Not knowing what mount you have it is difficult to say whether it is 'good', 'bad' or 'poor' idea.

If you do want a more accurate focus, then I believe there is a 1.25" helical focus adaptor that fits into the eyepiece holder, either before or after a star-diagonal or other accessory before the eyepiece.

thanks for your advice chaps. 

i was looking at this for fine tuning and reducing shake rather than convenience. i know there is a powered unit for the 127 mak, but it comes in  at £150. i'd rather look around before spending that much. at the moment my hi-tec solution is a clothes peg.

Archived