NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn

Hi I'm new to all this and was wondering if someone could help me . Iv located where Saturn is , there are no other stars in that area tonight. When looking at it through my binoculars it looks like different colours twinkling. Is that right of have I found something else. The moon , Venus and Jupiter iv found just Saturn I'm not sure about.

Will also depend on your binoculars jeanette - are they 7, 8, 10, 15× etc...Even low in the South/South South West, I've never seen Saturn twinkle as you describe, even under my frequently miserable London skies . Sounds more like Antares which is close by. Saturn is predominantly yellowish in bins and to a degree naked eye, Antares pinky/reddish bins and naked eye. And, depending on your binocular magnification, it can be apparent that Saturn has an oval-ish shape due to her beautiful rings. The chart that knobby posted is spot on...Hope you've found Saturn. Aint she beautiful? :)

It's like the 'hilt' end of a dagger in my opinion right now in the constellation Scorpius. Though I'm prejudiced cause in my horrible skies all I can see is Acrab, Dschubba, Antares and Saturn at the 'top' in Scorpius.

4IfGxa0l.png

This free program is called Stellarium, and is very useful by the way. 

Will also depend on your binoculars jeanette - are they 7, 8, 10, 15× etc...Even low in the South/South South West, I've never seen Saturn twinkle as you describe, even under my frequently miserable London skies . Sounds more like Antares which is close by. Saturn is predominantly yellowish in bins and to a degree naked eye, Antares pinky/reddish bins and naked eye. And, depending on your binocular magnification, it can be apparent that Saturn has an oval-ish shape due to her beautiful rings. The chart that knobby posted is spot on...Hope you've found Saturn. Aint she beautiful? :)

Country garden in the wind and the rain, Wherever he goes the people all complain.

:cool:

Jupitor is just about dew south at the moment Jeannette at 11pm. Antares will be just to the East of it and lower, so you should be able to find it. Depending where you are in Bridgend will decide on what Light Pollution you will get.

If you are south of Bridgend then you should be able to see it as there is not much light between you and the sea.

Also we have a social group on here located in South Wales so you are welcome to join us. Once it gets dark we have meetings usually close to the New Moon.

Here is the link to the South Wales group

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/111-south-wales-group/

Pat

My binoculars are 10/50 . I can see the twinkling star/planet again tonight. My star map saes Saturn but not sure. The moon , Venus and Jupiter are Beautifull but not much detail on planets even with my telescope. More practice I think.

Archived