NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My M 83 - Southern Pinwheel and help with guiding

So below is my image of the Southern Pinwheel galaxy. It was taken with a Nikon D610, 15 x 120's exposures at ISO 1600, on a Celestron Edge HD 8" with no reducer. My question to everyone here is as you can see in the image the stars are starting to trail. When I tried a 300 second exposure the trailing was rather bad so the longest I could get that gave a respectable image were 120 second exposures. I believe my polar alignment could have been a lot better thanks to a very enthusiastic friend of my dads wanting to look at everything he could and yes even bumped the mount :( Yes I had bumped mount rage but kept it all in. So rather do everything again I proceeded with my imaging session once he went away.
So after my little story my question is.... guide scopes. Because I'm photographing at such a long focal length and running a william optics 50mm guide scope, should I be running a longer focal length guide scope with my edge hd 8"? Will that prevent my star trails a little bit?
I haven't had the chance to try because of weather, but I have a william optics star 71mm should I use that as a guide scope if i'm going to use my edge hd for some sessions? I just received a tandem bar today so I'm hoping to mount them both on my mount and yes my mount can comfortably carry it all including the weight of the bar :) 

So would my setup be something like this with my mount loaded (not to max load cap).....
Photographing with - Celestron Edge HD 8" - Guide with - WO Star 71
Photographing with - WO star 71 - Guide with - WO 50mm

I'm awaiting delivery of two mono Atik cameras to add to my collection the 414EX mono and the 383L+, So can't wait to join the Mono CCD group too :)
Thank You.

southern pinwheel 8 6 15 No watermark

Thank You and an Off-Axis guider completely slipped my mind, I might look into it but before purchasing one I will try my WO star 71 first I think and see if there is any difference in tracking.

That is a lovely galaxy and a lovely photo... 

Thank You very much, I didn't get as many exposures on this as I wanted, so the next time I try... fingers crossed I will get a better outcome.

Great pic, do you mind me asking what mount you use?

Thank You!

For this image I was using the Celestron Advanced VX mount with the Edge HD and the William Optics 50mm guide scope. I've just purchased a Celestron CGEM mount.

Archived