NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maksutov Newtonian with custom Dob mount (I like the idea)

Hello All,

I have been put on to the idea of a skywatcher MN 190 being mounted to a custom made wood dob from places like teeter scope or astro goods. This would make the scope faster to set up and use and the weight of the scope really would not be an issue. While I admit that this particular scope may be a poor choice for a beginner I can't deny it I go back and forth about getting one.

Mike

I've owned a Russian 6" mak-newtonian and it was a superb scope. I'm really quite attracted to the MN190 as well although I do already have a number of other scopes including a 12" dobsonian :smiley:

They tend to be somewhat heavier than a conventional newtonian and take longer to cool down but the images they serve up of the moon and planets are really sharp and contrasy.

I've read of one of the Intes Micro 8" Mak-Newts being set on a dobsonian mount. That would be considerably less expensive than using an equatorial because an 8" MN needs a really stable one, something like an EQ6 or a Losmandy G11.

Archived