Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap as chips webcam

Miserable weather foday so i modified a AU $5 webcam i got off ebay to fit my scope. Pulled it apart very easily, took the lens out, and popped it all back together. Since I've now got a 9mm and 13mm plossl EPs now, i used the 10mm that came with my scope. Pulled it apart, took the rubber eye guard thingy off and found the small raised section slotted into the webcams old focusing ring perfectly!

4e9258e9cff0282b7529c5f11d89032a.jpg

Took it out for a test, but visibility is no more than 100m so couldn't really yest it out properly. But i was able to kind of focus on some leaves about 20m away. Was also able to focus with the 2x barlow which will be nice.

Not expecting very much from this webcam, but given it all cost only $5 I cant complain!

Will post some photos when I can see the sky.

You may be surprised at the results, I had a very cheap webcam and got some OK video of Jupiter last winter and I also have a full HD that only cost £10 and that gives nice video on Jupiter. Haven't tested on other planets but for the cheap price they stacked video came out with more detail than I thought it would.

Took it out tonight. Had a LOT of difficulty centering Saturn in it. Took about 30 minutes just to see it flash across the screen. Finally got it back and tried focusing but i obviously didn't tighten up the axis clutches fully and it slid out of view again. I tried for another 15 minutes but couldn't find it again.

I'm not sure if the sensor is centered which will be causing extra difficulties. I could center Saturn in a high power EP, but couldn't easily get it in the webcam. The other issue is the red dot finder. It's just not "fine" enough for my needs but I've got a right-angle finderscope on the mail which should help. I think I'll have to align it in daylight with the webcam to make sure i can find what I'm after at night.

But what I did see on the monitor looked suprisingly good, despite average seeing conditions. I was suprised at how large it appeared!

Cant wait till my new finder is here so i can takw it out again and not pull out what hair I have left [emoji51]

Archived