Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn's sats

nytecam

First telescopic view last night of Saturn this season exiting my neighbour's huge willow due south very low down on Libra/Scorpius borders. 

The moons are well clear of the disc [1ms exp] in 0.1s exp - Hyperion at mag14.4 in 1sec exp via 30cm LX200 + SX Lodestar-Mx2 camera and IDed via Cartes du Ciel.  Scope set at f/4 for DSOs hence wide fov :police:  

post-21003-0-09512000-1433845542.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saturn is one of my favorite objects to observe.

I usually use my 120mm newtonian reflector (cause it's light to haul in and out of the house). I know this limits my resolution but at least I see stuff...... :grin:

If the seeing is good I can see Titan, Rhea, Dione, Tethys and sometimes Iapetus.

Cassini's Division is easy and interesting.

My 120mm is flocked with the deepest black felt I could find, throughout the optical path.

This really helps immensely by giving me the best contrast it can give.

I also collimate this scope every time I take it out. I do this even though I find it holds it's collimation fairly well. Just got to be sure...... :grin:

Clear Skies ----- Silveradogold  :laugh:

Archived