Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8th June Sun

Qualia

With the promise of summer storms this week, I guess I'm coming to the end of quite a good innings: about 36 days of cloudless sunshine. This morning the Sun put on a spectacular display in both white light and H-alpha.

What stood out are the very active regions peppering and snaking across the disc, a large prominence on the eastern limb greeting the morning while on the opposite side were fountains of jets and surges.

The sketches were made using chalks on black paper:

post-21324-0-89375700-1433763707_thumb.j

post-21324-0-79288800-1433763717_thumb.j

They're getting better and better Qualia.

After a miserable May things have improved enormously here, and the Sun's putting on a show :-) as you show in your sketches. I've been watching these ARs since they appeared on the limb. I chanced to spot a C class flare go off yesterday in the big group furthest west.

James

Thank you for the kind and supporting comment James and Shaun. I tried a new technique today in white light which I'm quite pleased with, so will have another go tomorrow. H-alpha is always a bit touch and go, depending how the chalks are layered. The one today has the limb too red :rolleyes2: I'm not sure if black paper is the right medium for this, so will have a shot on whitish paper tomorrow....if the storms haven't arrived by then :smiley:

Archived