Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASI120MC-S or QHY5L-II

Hi All,

After struggling to get decent images of Jupiter with my Mak 150 Pro and a Canon 550d, I'm toying with the idea of getting a planetary camera. After lots of reading through SGL and a bit of googling I think I've narrowed down my search to either;

1) ZWO ASI120MC-S or

2) QHY5L-II colour

Both look like they have the same CMOS sensor, so in theory the same QE, is there any reason why I should chose one rather than the other? I am leaning towards the ZWO as it has USB3.0 and so in theory has a greater frame rate. I'd also like to be able to use the camera for guiding, I appreciate that for guiding mono would be better than colour, but I'm not ready (and don't have the imaging time) for playing around with filters (yet).

Budget would be about £250 max (as that is £500 with the SWMBO handbag tax)

Thanks for reading.

Ian

I think I'd agree with that - I've used both (mine is a QHY, the kids' school's is a ZWO).

I like that you can set up the QHY to be parfocal which is a real help (I just wrote about that in another thread), but as said, the drivers are quirky and seem to be a common source of confusion.

Plus you get a free fish-eye lens with the ZWO !

I guide with a colour cam and have no issues with it at all.

Well the ZWO ASI120MC-S has arrived, great service from Tring Astronmomy!! :icon_bounce:

Unfortunately the clouds arrived with the camera, next forecast clear night is 10 days away, why am I surprised!! :clouds2:

*..Dons fireproof suit....I don't understand why anyone in this hobby would choose to hobble themselves with a Mac. Why have to pass on great hardware and software because it doesn't run on one? Look at me talking. I have a Nikon and a Newtonian!  ;-)

Archived