Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Really Basic Questions

Bear with me guys, I'm taking very small steps here...

Slowly building up a basic Astrophotography  (AP) kit.

Just got myself a second hand Canon Eos 1100D.

I know enough that I need an adaptor to attach it to a telescope.

I have a 90mm refractor, with 2" and 1.25" diagonal fittings and also a 6SE, 1.25", only.

What adaptor(s) do I need to attach my 1100D to these telescopes?

Also if I am going to use the 1100D for AP what filter(s) do I need? 

Finally I have a Mark III Baader 8-24mm zoom lens. 

There is a picture on the side of the box that shows it attached to a Canon DSLR.

Is this a useful setup?

Many thanks!

Think it would be best to get (if there is one) a 2" T ring for the canon DSLR and you may then need an extension tube also. Assuming here that the diagonal is not to be in the optical path. The 2" items should be better suite to the weight.

I would not put a DSLR on the 6SE, they are better suited to a webcam and with that attached to a laptop for planetary imaging. Also the classic that being an Alt/Az type mount the SE mounts are not suited to long exposures.

The zoom I guess is capable of being used in an afocal manner.

This would mean the zoom in and the lens remains on the DSLR.

Potentially too heavy as distances are increased and you are now hanging DSLR and lens off the rear end.

Optically I guess the quality would be low so I would say not a useful setup.

Filters - you may need an LP filter of some variety, but they cut out an assortment of wavelengths now and the balance is blown to bits. Makes it difficult. There is also the question of where to fit the filter with a DSLR - I have no idea. Maybe wait and simply get a number of practise images at first then consider what filters could be useful or necessary.

Filters "may" mean it is worth considering a 1.25" T-ring, 2" filtrers are costly and if the smaller t-ring is adaquate then you could save an amount by using 1.25" items.

You will need a remote timer or intervalometer as well, usually about £20 from Amazon.

Looked at mine and the t-ring is short so that will not flex.

The t-ring has a bayonet fitting for the camera, the other side has a thread, so I assume that the threaded bit screws on to a corresponding thread on an extension tube.

You can tell from this I have not used my DSLR on a scope so never assembled it all.

With the items I have I do not think it will fully assemble.

Hopefully someone will wander along and confirm or explain otherwise.

Best is to see a correctly set up working system.

You can attach a dslr to the Baader zoom without the camera lens for eyepiece projection.

You will need the M43 T adapter.

This screws onto the eyepiece then your camera with tring screws onto the M43.

This is the part you need.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-eyepiece-t-adaptor-m43-t.html

This is how I imaged double stars like the Double Double.

episilonlyri2.jpg

Don't know if this helps but in the days of wet film  I had an SLR that I fitted to my scope by use of an adaptor.  it took the place of a lens on the camera and the front piece was a substitute for an eyepiece on the scope.  It was supposed to use the scope as a massive lens for the camera.

It never really worked too well sadly due mainly to me being useless.

Archived