Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need some advice on 130P DS focus

Hi all, I need some advice. I received my 130P DS today and I am happy with it. I was a bit lucky tonight that I managed to get 20 minutes outdoor time with it in between the clouds. I put it on the AZ syncscan for now as I am ordering a EQ5 next month for the scope. The collimation is good and views are pin-sharp. I took an image of the moon to try out the focus with my Canon 1000D and with the DSLR attached at prime  I could obtain focus.

When I tried to use my 1.25" t-piece attached to my T2 inserted into the EP holder I could not achieve focus on the moon. I tried with an extension tube that came with the OTA, but still no luck. Could this be because the moon is closer to us, so only prime can capture it or will the 130P DS fail to achieve focus on any object when using a T-Piece.

Also is there any benefit to using a 1.25" T-Piece if I can achieve focus by attaching the 1000D at prime?  Unfortunately I could not try on something else as the clouds rolled in and that was that. Thanks for any advice.

when i had my 150p ds, i would just use the T thread on the 1000D then screw this to the focuser after removing the 1.25 ep holder, this worked and seems the best way to use this set up

Thanks for the reply. In my short time with the scope last night I found the same as you. I am hoping to try again soon with a Barlow on a planet, but if not I will try my Phillips Toucam on the scope for moon and planetary images and my 1000D for DSO's when I get my EQ5.

Thanks again.

Archived