NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sir Patrick Moore

Saganite

Very interesting Mark - thanks for posting. It was where I bought my first scope - probably like many other Brits on this forum. Their premises on the faringdon road was a cottage industry - grinding glass, making their own scopes and eyepieces. And I remember the showroom itself was fantastic - it was like entering a different world. A real tragedy when it finally shut its doors.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what Patrick used for EPs although I understand that he was friendly with Dudley Fuller (Fullerscopes) which became Broadhurst, Clarkson and Fuller (Telescope House).

Members may find this eyepiece page from the 1973 Fullerscopes catalogue interesting.

Interesting that most of the designs are not things that we tend to see these days. The occasional orthoscopic perhaps but the basic eyepiece these days is a plossl. Does anyone ever see Kellners or Ramsdens now?

"Interesting that most of the designs are not things that we tend to see these days. The occasional orthoscopic perhaps but the basic eyepiece these days is a plossl. Does anyone ever see Kellners or Ramsdens now?"

I don't see too many Kellners or Ramsdens but there's loads of Baader Hyperions out there which are essentially Erfles (with a bit added on). :)

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/forum/2-eyepiece-for-a-fast-newton-which-one-t79490.html

Archived