NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Photoshop or Acorn 4?

I have Photoshop Elements 13 and I'm not impressed with it at for anything more than basic-ish editing.

I like the way Photoshop has the adjustment sliders in one pane so you can work your way through them (as I've seen on YouTube).

I don't have Photoshop so I went and had a look and see that Photoshop and Lightroom are available, together, for £8.xx/month on a twelve month pricing. What! The! Hell!!! I don't like that idea, but then I don't like the idea that, if I were now able to purchase PS, it would be out of my reach. I'm sort of wobbling on the fence here but I get the feeling I just wouldn't use it enough to warrant the expenditure. I had a one year with MS Office and cancelled renewal because I was only using Outlook and it struck me as an expense I could live without.

Question then: Does anyone here, a Mac user, use Acorn 4 for tweaking and teasing their images and is it good enough or is PS the only way to go? I'll happily buy Acorn 4 if I know it's up to the job.

Many thanks.

Vikki.

I have Pixelmator for OSX it works for processing astro images and can handle 16 bit.

However I more often use GIMP2.9 even though it isn't released yet as I prefer the interface.

It is stable so long as you stay away from the experimental features that aren't in 2.8.

You can download it from www.partha.com

Normally I would advise against downloading GIMP builds from anywhere except gimp.org but in this case they haven't released the 2.9 build you require for 16 bit processing so it is either that or build it yourself.

There are some other 16 bit versions of gimp kicking around but I haven't tried them.

I've never tried Acorn and I was also put off by Adobes evil pricing schemes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived