Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD Dec offset

I use a side by side saddle with my EQ8 and hence apply a 90deg Dec offset via Synscan to the normal 'home' position.  

However I normally use EQMOD to point to objects and I couldn't find an option for this in the EQMOD window.   The only way I could find to get the offset was to rotate the mount manually 90deg after first setting it in the normal home position and then set that as the custom home.   Or alternatively use the handset to apply the offset then unplug the handset and connect the EQDIR cable.

This works but there must be a simpler way?

No need to rotate the saddle. Mount the scopes, manually set them in the Home position (CW bar down), connect EQMOD, make sure that EQMOD is not parked, then hit ReSynch Encoders. Then just align in your planetarium software as normal.

The handset Home position will now be 90 degrees out, but who cares? My handset gets used about twice per year....

If you gon onto the EQ8 Yahoo group, you can download a small utility that will reset the Home position. I never saw the need to be honest.

Archived