SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Decking and SkyShed Pod

JayStar

All my electric is in now.

I have 5 double sockets, 2 bulkhead lights (one red , one white), and an ethernet connection.

My power supply is a 30A unit, which feeds a Kendrick power panel mounted on my pier. (this means I only have two cables from the mount, one USB connection from the Kendrick power panel to the PC and one  12V power cable from the power supply to the Kendrick power panel).  Still have some work to do to tidy up all cables from the scope/cameras to the the power panel on the pier)

The frost heater is also in, along with a dehumidifier (which seems to be 24/7 at the moment to keep humidity at 60%...might have to do a bit of sealing on the bay joints)

Almost ready to go!

20161120_180924.jpg

20161120_180935.jpg

20161120_181042.jpg

20161120_181028.jpg

20161120_180936.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the decking and railing you've installed, it looks really great. The problems with water ingress though seem crazy and totally at odds with the whole reason for having an observatory in the first place but I admire your determination to resolve them and hope you succeed.

32 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I love the decking and railing you've installed, it looks really great. The problems with water ingress though seem crazy and totally at odds with the whole reason for having an observatory in the first place but I admire your determination to resolve them and hope you succeed.

Thank you very much.

Yeah, I was disappointed with the water ingress, but the cover solves it.  I am pretty sure with some more work on the pivots, it could be solved completely. No matter, I can get the cover on and off in seconds now and it keeps the interior bone dry.  Even without it I was able to get the leaks down to a minimum, but in reality there is never any need to leave the POD when not in use with the cover off (as it is not an automated dome)

With everything now set up, it's almost exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Just some good clear night skies are needed now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great build thread Jaystar, I looked long and hard at a pod but went the Pulsar route and have never needed internal plumbing; the ingenuity of we band of astronomers knows no bounds I really enjoyed that. Well done.

Regards

Mike

Archived