SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Decking and SkyShed Pod

JayStar

So I decided that I really do need an obsy and have managed to persuade the wife.

The plan is to build a 6m by 4m deck at the back of the garden and place a Skyshed POD on one side with a seating area on the other.

The POD will have 4 bays and will be laid out as in the image below

Initial plans for my Observatory

Hopefully work on the piling and bearings for the deck can start shortly, but I found out today I actually need planning permission for , of all things, the decking!

Still, hopefully that will go through ok - will know in 10 days.  If not, plans are dashed before I start!...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though my decking may not be approved by planning, the Skyshed POD has been ordered today from Ian at Altair Astro.

• Midnight Gray walls and White dome.
  • Visor accessory
  • 4 bays all black lined
  • Dome cover - gray
  • Skyshed POD 8" Pier  36 inches ( I will need to drill the holes in the top plate for this to accommodate my Celestron wedge)

Planning on:

• Electricity running to two points in the dome - between each of 2 pod bays - and connecting 4 outdoor sockets to each connection
  • Also electricity running to the patio area and a light
  • Two lights - one red one white (bulkhead lights) - in the dome
  • red LED lighting around the bottom circumference of the obsy walls
  • running a desicant dehumidifier 24/7 and heater when necessary.
  • telephone connection run into the dome with separate number ( totally and utterly unnecessary but i can't resist -its going to be an old fashioned red phone lol)
  • Pier being mounted in concrete and coming up through the bottom of the decking floor (not touching) - I will create a 'trap door' around the pier to keep out any animals whilst not in the obsy

My views are not great, which is why i chose the skyshed POD - can just ick it up and bring it with me when i move in a couple of years to a better site.

Sounds good, but I have to sake why you need planning permission for a deck?

Ed

Amazing isn't it.  Checked with the planning officer and was told I had to apply for permission.  It just doesnt sound right but there you go.  I have now made the planning application (172 quid!)

My slight concern is that the garden slopes to the back (A in the drawing above) which means the back of the deck will be 45cm raised from the current ground level.  I am hoping this is not too much of a problem because there is no garden or window beyond the fence at the back, just a driveway,

Anyway I will see what happens. 

Sounds good, but I have to sake why you need planning permission for a deck?

Ed

I would guess because it's 6m x 4m. 242m is a sufficiently large enough proportion of a property's footprint that it would require permission.

I would guess because it's 6m x 4m. 242m is a sufficiently large enough proportion of a property's footprint that it would require permission.

its far far less than 50% of the available plot.  The guidelines state that 50% is the maximum coverage.  I think its more to do with a side of the decking being raised more than 30cm...

its far far less than 50% of the available plot.  The guidelines state that 50% is the maximum coverage.  I think its more to do with a side of the decking being raised more than 30cm...

I think you're right there about the decking height being the issue - when I was building my observatory, I checked the planning regulations beforehand and recall noticing the 30cm height limit.

Different areas have different rules on some things always best to check, you might even find some stuff in your house deeds. Obviously some things are enforced more than others, for example my deeds say no sign written vans to be parked on the drive but I may use a horse and cart on my road and park that outside lol

Hi Jaystar,

I would include in your floor plan an area for retro building a PZT, it's a major failing of the POD ... access to the zenith.  

Carole an SGL member has some pictures on her website of a PZT build and a very nice build it is ... I struggled due to the position and space around  my Pod and had to build a temporary structure with rails, from start to finish takes about 10 mins to slide the dome back.

Also have some thoughts about sitting the pod on a lino membrane then sealed around the inside of the Pod, it'll help control the moisture coming up through the deck boards.  

My mistake. I thought the guidelines kicked in if you were adding structures that were 50% of the existing building footprint

Well spotted on the planning permission! Perhaps saved yourself some grief further down the line.

I'm looking forward to the in-progress photo's already :)

Yes I figured I may as well work with the planners and adjust if necessary as risk getting into a situation where i was forced to take things down and then find it difficult to get any plans through. 

I hope there will be some pictures to show!

Hi Jaystar,

I would include in your floor plan an area for retro building a PZT, it's a major failing of the POD ... access to the zenith.  

Carole an SGL member has some pictures on her website of a PZT build and a very nice build it is ... I struggled due to the position and space around  my Pod and had to build a temporary structure with rails, from start to finish takes about 10 mins to slide the dome back.

Also have some thoughts about sitting the pod on a lino membrane then sealed around the inside of the Pod, it'll help control the moisture coming up through the deck boards.  

Thanks - the zenith issue is not really one I am that concerned with right now as I use a fork mount on a wedge.   With imaging train the clearance tends to mean that zenith is always problematic.  That said it probably does make sense to plan for future possibilities...

In terms of the flooring I was planning to put a membrane down and then cushioned flooring in.... hopefully that will help.  Definitely going to be running a desicant dehumidifier 24/7 also.

Come on folks, we need planning departments to stop the country being drowned by hideous structures. I mean, without them you'd get things like this being given planning consent.

Oh, it was given planning consent? Well at least they stop private individuals putting up decks in the privacy of their own homes. Phew, that's a relief.

Olly

post-2393-0-05124900-1432158756.jpg

My garden slopes in 2 directions and my deck (and obs) sit on this slope, one edge of which is 3 feet above ground....but which bit of ground do you measure from? because one corner is actually on the surface, so as far as I'm concerned its at gorund level  - no planning required!........well thats my excuse  :grin:

Thanks - the zenith issue is not really one I am that concerned with right now as I use a fork mount on a wedge.   With imaging train the clearance tends to mean that zenith is always problematic.  That said it probably does make sense to plan for future possibilities...

In terms of the flooring I was planning to put a membrane down and then cushioned flooring in.... hopefully that will help.  Definitely going to be running a desicant dehumidifier 24/7 also.

A membrane and cushioned floor over the decking? Your dehumidifier will be working overtime sucking moist air through the gaps in the floor. Wouldnt it be better to lay a ply/osb floor under the pod?

Thought I'd jump in here so you can get a link to my website and give a few "wise after the event" tips!!!  

I did find the Zenith a real problem with a POD at certain times of the year, and because I sited my Pod in a Corner of a fence and shed it really limited my options to later add a Pod Zenith table, but with a clever friend (a retired engineer) we managed to do a DIY job.  Much of the problem was not being able to access the places which needed screwing up after the table went on, so we had to do the table in sections and climb over the Pod wall to do bits at a time.  Ha ha!

I laid a membrane down underneath my decking to stop rising damp and weeds growing, but the foxes pulled that out long ago.  Maybe the idea of laying a membrane down on top of the decking as suggested above isn't such a bad idea.  I have interlocking rubber matting on top of my decking, and together with the dehumidifier it stays lovely and dry.  Also perhaps putting chicken wire under the decking to stop wildlife getting underneath.  

I found it quite tricky to seal the POD to the ridged decking with the lexel they provide, due to the ridges, but turning the decking up the other way could be lethal in icy weather, so some consideration needs to be given to this aspect.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE YOUR POD AFTER YOU HAVE POSITIONED IT without re-checking the walls are still absolutely circular.  I circularised the walls during construction as instructed, but decided to move the entire dome a couple of months later to offset to the south and it never occured to me once the dome was in place that I would need to re-circularise the walls.  Thus mine has a 1/2" discrepancy which once stuck down with lexel was impossible to move without uprooting the whole thing, so my dome has a gap one end which leaks, so I have to place a bucket under that pivot joint to catch the drips.

HTH

Carole 

Thank you for that advice - I think I am going to be able to position to later add the PZT if I want to... The advice on getting it right first time in terms of positioning is very useful and I will be taking it!

Here's the 3D plan of what I am doing.  As mention lots of obstructions but will live with the views of the sky I can see (and make sure when I move I have great horizons!).  The move is at least a couple of years away and I just couldnt wait for an obsy!

3D Representation of my plan for the Skyshed POD

Oh dear, rather a lot of trees, and on 3 sides - are you sure it is workable?

Carole 

Its not really very good to be honest - I can get some views though between the tress (rather more sky than it looks) and also can get above the trees at around 50-55 degrees

Sounds like a PZT is going to be a necessity then or you'll be totally frustrated.  Are you an imager?   

Carole 

Yes might add it to the order.

I am primarily interested in imaging - just starting out.

• 2 months later...

Planning permission for the decking finally came through so project is a go.  SkyShed POD is due for August delivery (probably the end of August as there seem to be some delays to the shipments).  Enough time to get the decking / wiring done and then set up to be ready in September.

Excited. :)

Archived