Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quasar 3c 273 jet

sunka

Hello!

I have a question for you guys and hope it is not too stupid since this is probably near to impossible.

What focal length and exposure would be needed to capture a glimpse of 3c 273 jet with CCD g2-1600 (80% QE)? My telesope is Skywatcher 200P which is probably waaaay too small with 20cm and 1000mm focal length.

For reference, here is image of jet: http://spider.seds.org/spider/Misc/3c273.html (4m mirror, 30k mm focal length... :shocked:)

Best regards!

As far as im aware.... quasars are fairly easy, but jets are extremely difficult becuase they're not readily visible in visual wavelengths to amateurs - they're more active in radio wavelengths. Any images ive found of it have always been with big telescopes.

Actually, ive had a go at this one.... I got the quasar no prob, but no sign of the jet.

Thank you guys!

I did not know it is strongest in radio (thanks for aavso url).

Another piece of information - on wikipedia site it is stated that jet has apperent size of 23". My ccd in combination with Skywatcher 200P has resolution of 1.86 asec/pix, but seeing is rarely below 2 where I live anyway...

So the question is, what is visual magnitude of jet or better how much exposure is needed to capture cca 10px of that jet, hmmm...  :laugh:

Regards!

Archived