Complete newby alert!

Hi there, I've been interested in astronomy for a while now and have finally plucked the courage to buy my first scope. That was until I started looking at reviews and guides. :huh:  I basically want to know any suggestions or recommendations at what I can buy up to the £300 mark. I Will be using it primarily in my back garden so it doesn't need to be too portable but can be easily stored away in a wardrobe. Thank you for any help and time given, Scott :laugh:  :smiley:

welcome.

I guess if it has t be stored in your wardrobe then it will be small enough to not be heavy or difficult to get up and down stairs which might be between there and the back garden.

Possible something like the Heritage 130p would fit in your wardrobe and bit a reasonable size aperture.

Depends on what you expect/want but the Skyliner 150P dobsonian then 2 decent eyepieces will come to £300.

Thinking the 25mm BST Starguider and the 12mm or the 8mm BST Starguider.

I know you get a 25mm with the scope.

I just started as well and went with the Skywatcher 90mm Mak ($250) because my research told me it would be better than a reflector for viewing planets and the Virtuoso mount was an impressive value (and upgradable). Btw I learned a lot about the hobby from this YouTube channel, include the the telescope I ended up buying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oySbet53cnI

I don't regret the purchase because my first view of Jupiter was just...wow. But I do wish I had something to see some of the brighter deep sky objects. I think the Orion Starblast 4.5" ($200) has generally good reviews and I have used it myself on loan from my library so it gets my recommendation. The Red dot finder is an especially nice upgrade over the plastic cheapo finder my Mak came with. 

The 4.5 Starblast is certainly a very good little beast, optics are solid and capable, and give some lovely widefield views as well as the larger planets (they'll be small but perfectly formed). The scope packs quite a punch for its small size. Very light, very stowable. Mine is in its box now only because I bought its larger brother, the Starblast 6.

Hi There,

All good advice above,  however I would say before you buy go along to a local astro club meet and see what others have and what may suit you best. One of the best scopes within budget is a 200p dob, now this would fit in a decent size wardrobe, the cost of the scope is £265.

But would encourage you to see and touch before you buy.

Archived