Turning the reticule

I have been told that the reticule is in the wrong place on my mount (HEQ5) when the counterweight bar is pointing down the cross hairs and the little circle is at approximately 4 o,clock. How can I turn the reticule to match it up so its pointing down  when the counterweight bar is. Do I need to undo the three small allen screws? tearing my hair out with it.

Paul

It doesn't matter where it is. Stop pulling your hair out. If you are using the polar scope to polar align what you should do is rotate the mount in RA whilst looking through the polar scope with one eye at the axes drawn on the reticule and the other eye at the night sky. Align the long axis with Mizar and the short axis then will align with Cass. Lock the RA axis and use the Alt and Az bolts to get Polaris in the little circle.your mount is then polar aligned. Unlock the RA clutch and point the bar down and you are good to go. A more accurate PA can then be attained by using the handset routine and your main scope.

This routine is more than adequate for visual observing. If you are imaging you should run the PA routine on the handset.

Thanks very much guys, dont know whether i was sent on some wind up on my other post or just misinformed but was told "when the counterweight bar is pointing down  so should the little circle and cross hairs".  spent all night searching and trying to figure it out.

Thanks very much guys, dont know whether i was sent on some wind up on my other post or just misinformed but was told "when the counterweight bar is pointing down  so should the little circle and cross hairs".  spent all night searching and trying to figure it out.

I sincerely hope not.

Its in my post "quick question" Is your problem that the reticule isn't in the 12 o'clock position? If so release the clutch and whilst holding the scope or weight so the weight remains pointing down use the mount RA controls to turn the reticule. You should then be able to get the reticule and the weight both pointing the right way, lock the clutch once it is right. Now just polar align with the Az and Lat adjustments. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 

Archived