Thought my EP was bad

Mostly imaging, but bought a 27mm BST when I bought the scope. After trying it, I was very saddened by the rainbows around stars and lack of focus.

Shelved the EP for a few months, then I thought I'd try a new approach. I'm very nearsighted, but decided to try without my glasses and all the problems went away. Stars look lovely and real colors in the MW so good!

If you go for a higher power one I would suggest that you look at the Starguider's or as Agena advertise "Dual ED", from Agena if that is the best source for you. They are a BST but I think AgenaAstro may have their name branded on them so they are sold as Agena Starguiders not BST Starguiders. But a BST still.

Easily missed on the Agena site as the "BST Starguider" does not appear in there eyepiece list as either a BST or under the name Starguider, they are listed as "Agena Dual ED".

It partially sounds as if to operate to produce a flat field the one(s) you have might be losing performance elsewhere. Understandable I suppose. I think they are aimed at fast scopes that do not produce a very flat prime image field.

I suspect you will find the "Starguider" under whatever name a better eyepiece then the Flat Field.

I'm not primarily an observer, so I suppose my expectations were met very easily by this one.  I have an f/5 Newtonian. It gives me what I bought it for. There wasn't a skyguider in this FL. If I go for another, I'll get a skyguider. I must admit that on a list of my priorities, a Baader MK III, a Hutech Idas d-1 come first.

I sometimes ponder if they could make glasses using a cemented doublet to reduce the CA. Strong lenses add a lot of CA (off axis), even more so when you get high index lenses so they are thinner and lighter. Not noticed the effect down my eyepieces, but I dont do much visual on account of light pollution.

Archived