A good first buy?

Hello, as a newbie just starting out, i have a scope planisphere and assorted books and i was hoping for some advice on a good first buy equipment/accesories wise.

I would like it to be something that you may not need to use all the time but at certain times you wish that you had bought one and kicked yourself for putting off getting it, if this makes sense.

All the best

Cylon

what scope do you have cylon? it'll make a huge difference to the advice. If we're talking newt, then a collimation tool is something you really will want/need sooner rather than later

Sorry forgot to say that i have a skywatcher explorer 200p on an eq5 mount.  i am just looking for something to get that will come in handy for that time when you may need it and wish you had one if ther is such a thing.

Thank you for any help given

Cylon

If you haven't got one already you need a tool to collimate the telescope. Either make your own collimation cap or buy one or buy a chesire collimation tool. If your mirrors are out you won't see anything

First of all download this http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm then buy youself a

collimation cap and a Cheshire collimation sight tube, read Astrobabies guide to collimation, two or three times,

then check if your scope is ok, once you are happy that your mirrors are aligned you are good to go.

One of the best upgrades I bought are my dual axis motors, no more turning the slow motion knobs to keep your

target in view, easy to fit and use. Also my Rigel Quikfinder, works like a Telrad but is much lighter and compact, makes

finding your target much easier, easy to fit just sticks to your scope near to your finder scope, wouldn't do without it. 

Big thank you to you all for your recomendations.  Collimation has come up a couple of times so that sounds like a good piece of equipment to have to hand.

Thank you Ronl i will look up dual axis motors and Rigel Quickfinder.

Thank you damnut i will look up RACI finders

Thank you Tinker1947 i will look up telrad

Thank you all

Cylon

Archived