Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6832

Have been trying out the 130pds mounted on an AVX these last few weeks. Took a number of subs of the above open cluster with a modded 1100d. I'm still really a beginner with processing...

The data consists of 7 x 360s, 6 x 480s and 4 x 600s, all at iso 400 and stacked with dss. Resized to 33% of actual size:

First image was just processed in dss and tweaked in CS2:

post-33532-0-60375600-1430504718_thumb.p

This one was processed in StarTools and tweaked in CS2

post-33532-0-02219900-1430504766_thumb.p

Neither look like versions I've seen elsewhere...

I'm open to constructive criticism and suggestions :)

Louise

ps please ignore the gradients :p

ahh thats more like it i was looking for a ref and they didnt look the same lol i get the numbers mixed up most of the time.

what filters are you using Louise 

hi Louise i was able to get a reference image and overlay to your image your target is bang smack in the middle and if you look at the ref image and yours you can see where the pillar is.i think the gradient is the problem for the faint detail i have been trying to deal with bad gradient in all my pictures and i am now having some success.

if you want and can be bothered will you post 1 unprocessed image (not even stacked) raw or png it dos not matter or even (jpeg) to see what i can do with the gradient.

thanks 

post-12098-0-74573100-1430511311_thumb.j

Hi Chris

Yeah, I know it's spot on - I use Astrotortilla to centre targets  :grin:. I can probably (maybe) do something about the gradients. I was more concerned about the appearance of the stars, particularly their colour. Looking at other versions, I seem to have a lot more red ones in comparison. Maybe that's just a consequence of a modded dslr. On the other hand, the nebulosity isn't so strong. My first one seems better? The 'pillar' seems clearer on the first one. Maybe I need to try and get some more data but with an Halpha filter.

I'll have another go at processing what I have tomorrow. I'm tempted to download Pixinsight - I've been threatening to for ages! I also have lots of data for the Dumbbell and some data for NGC 6940 so will post them too - eventually.

If I can't get anywhere with the above gradients I'll post a Dropbox link with the stacked image, if you (or anyone else) would care to have a stab :) I have to say, the above images look worse on here compared to my screens! Maybe it's the dark background. It's not completely obvious what is nebulosity and what is unwanted gradient. I've always had trouble trying to remove the latter without also trashing the former :(

Cheers

Louise

Archived