Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is the use of an Infra Red Pass filter?

focaldepth

What is the use of an Infra Red Pass filter?

OK, may seem like a daft question but I have just purchased one to use on Saturn in May to try and shoot it through the low haze.

My problem is that my wife (Yarn) has asked for a cost benefit analysis on this purchase.

She wants some example  pictures taken L-RGB vs IR-RGB. (or even L-IR-RGB)

For my benefit, what types of targets, beside planets would you use an IR pass filter on?

Any help saving the marriage gratefully received.

I Guess I worded the question badly. (Thanks Bryan)

I should have asked: What types of imaging targets would benefit from adding frames using an infra red pass filter other than planets and does any one have examples of with and without the Infra Red.

I am talking about a cut off 685nm, not the really long wave lengths.

I have googled and searched SGL without much sucess but there must be many DSO with detail in the IR band.

There are Astrodon or IDAS false color IR filter sets. Imaging in infrared for DS objects won't give a lot. It will allow imaging things hidden by some dust or nebulosity (but only a bit). If you would do an IR image of a nebula (longer than H-a/S II emission lines) then you would see all the stars but no emission from the nebula like if it wasn't there.

For planetary / lunary imaging infrared is often used with mono cameras.

There are Astrodon or IDAS false color IR filter sets. Imaging in infrared for DS objects won't give a lot. It will allow imaging things hidden by some dust or nebulosity (but only a bit). If you would do an IR image of a nebula (longer than H-a/S II emission lines) then you would see all the stars but no emission from the nebula like if it wasn't there.

For planetary / lunary imaging infrared is often used with mono cameras.

OK, thanks for that. You have affected my cost/benefit ratio a bit.

When it arrives, it will be fun to take some frames of previously imaged galaxies and see for myself but as you suggest I won't hope for much. I wonder if it would make a good star mask in processing.

Still if I manage some half-decent Jupiter, Saturn and Moon shots this month I hope the misses will forgive me.

I have an Astronomic 742nm IR Pass, and use it mostly on the Moon. Here's a comparison between Lum, Red and IR filters on my ASI120MM camera.

Thanks, that is a clear example of the difference. I can see how replacing or adding to Luminance will make an improvement.

Basically I think you are in trouble with your wife and need to take her out for a meal....

Olly

That will be £99.95 for marriage guidance counselling. Good job it only took me 8 seconds or it would have cost more...

Basically I think you are in trouble with your wife and need to take her out for a meal....

Olly

That will be £99.95 for marriage guidance counselling. Good job it only took me 8 seconds or it would have cost more...

Thanks Olly, I think your rates are a little high at £45000 per hour. I suppose with a family of Takahashi you need to charge those rates. A meal it is, see below.

Three too many words......

"Basically I think you are in trouble with your wife and need to 'take her out' " :evil:

That may be a cheaper option, I did just buy her a 200P Dob for SGLX.

I know a michelin star pub near Dalby forest's dark skies. A taster menu lunch followed by a night of Dobbing should work out OK.

Thanks Guys for your expert maritial advice. Shame I did not get a work flow for pulling stars out of dust lanes but I have enough clues to look further.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Averil (Yarn) has read this thread, entered the information into a spreadsheet to calculate the cost benefit ratio. It turns out she owes me an H-Beta filter. I was very surprised but very happy (as is FLO).

It is strange how things work out.

Dobbing was not a double entendre. Double entendre by the way is the act of trying to find meaning in gravitationally bound stars.

Archived