Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

April 30, 2015: Some interesting detail in H-alpha

Had a look through my Solar-Spectrum set-up today (working from home as my eldest is suffering from a mild concussion (judo again)), before and after grabbing some data around lunchtime between gaps in the clouds. The disk is fairly quiet, mirroring the situation in white light a bit, but there are still various details worth looking at.  There is a very long filament running from the eastern limb to near the centre of the disk, with a small AR embedded halfway. Just above start on the eastern limb, there is a small, bright area, with one or more short bright spikes emanating from it. It really looks like an AR is on the limb itself. Hopefully it will have some nice big sunspots associated with it. On the western limb there is a similar area, where the last of the previous batch of sunspots has just passed the limb. Looking forward to the full disk once AS!2 has done its stacking.

I actually set up the scope early this morning: crystal clear skies. The sun hadn't quite risen over the trees and hedges, but I was ready and waiting. Just after breakfast, sun rises over hedges and trees, just as clouds rush in threatening rain. Luckily I could lift the entire mount and scope inside before it started to rain. I left the scope in the kitchen, ready to set it up outside in the blink of an eye when the opportunity arose. Glad I did.

Archived