Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq5 problems with star trails when imaging

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing periodic error but it's just a guess as we don't know which direction is RA and which is Dec on the pictures. Periodic error occurs on the RA axis.

You said the pics were unguided so it cannot be backlash - that only happens if you are guiding.

Do you use any guiding software like PHD?  If so you can do a run with guiding disabled for around 10 minutes to see what is happening.

Otherwise, set up with a bad polar alignment so you have Dec drift and take a shot or a series of them over ten minutes. Periodic error will show up clearly.

As to how it happened - either something mechanical, or if you have periodic error correction on your mount it possibly has become disabled.

Are you setting up your mount in a different position compared to the times when you got good tracking?

Different position on paving slabs ?  Is the base you're working off moving or more susceptible to vibration from you moving about ?

I recall some one else was having similar issues and it turned out to be the tripod settling in to the ground.

great advise and help as ever, just bought an EQ5 PRO, so having read all the comments, am feeling ready for any foibles that come my way too, hope its cured the problem Perry, going to try mine this weekend cluds and rain permitting, Lum

Archived