Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyrids tonight/tomorrow

Hope everyone's week isn't going too badly. Was just wondering on people's opinions on DSLR settings for attempting (big emphasis there, may I add) to catch a meteor or two in an urban environment with grade 1-2 LP. Not sure if going too high ISO is just going to wash shots out with pee yellow light pollution, and conversely too low, not going to pick up the meteor trails. Shutter release in the bag, with sturdy Velbon tripod, thinking 20 ish sec exposures and got my 28-80mm lens with me, anything else?

Nat xx

i have some old notes - high iso (1600), aim 45 degrees from radiant and 45 degrees above horizon, long axis of dslr frame pointing towards radiant, 30-60 sec exposures, use an intervalometer if you have one, so say 30 sec exposures and wait just a couple of secs between shots, rule of thumb is 600/focal length is the max exposure time you can get without star trailing showing.  after midnight best (since we're then on the 'leading edge' of the planet.  And hope... !

if it doesn't work, you can still make a star trails pic or a timelapse with what you got anyway

[url=https://flic.kr/p/piPiMD]15297816195_cde4c46697.jpg

Archived