Power tank advice

I went down the inverter route because I normally set up in the back garden and run everything with a 240V extension lead on an RCD from my shed, but got the inverter for dark sites to power mount at 12V, laptop at ~18V and DSLR at ~8V from 34 A.hr 12V battery

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys me again, Now that I got the HEQ mount I have been looking at powertanks , there are two in FLO one is £55 ther other £99, my question is would the £55 one be sufficant for me? there will be the mount, a castro focuser and hopefully a laptop, Also how woul I attach these to the power tank as at the moment they are on a standard plug

Cheers

Paul

I got the smaller SW powertank with my set up and TBH it worked quite well. It would run mount and camera + low power mirror heaters quite happily for many hours. The only problem is the power light on the HEQ5 flashes sometimes sugggesting the voltage is dropping, even though it still has lots of power. Also when I moved over to laptop I ran into probs - especially as its 19V. (Someoone else suggested laptops are 12V. I have 3 laptops - theyre all 19V.)

In the end I just power everything by mains with an extension  lead. Do you need to go remote? If not, mains is easiest I'd say.

Yes, a power tank is necessary I believe. (even if it isn't always needed)

I was on a 3 month course away from home and I had to use a car park about 100m from the accomodation.

It would have been a long cable crossing a road at night, not a good option.

I was questioned quite frequently by the police as it was :-P

They were happy enough when I showed them Jupiter though :-)

Archived