NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M101 and NGC5474 by DSLR

Owmuchonomy

This is my first attempt at this asymmetric spiral.  It is also my first attempt at stacking two separate sessions.  There are quite a few other DSOs in the frame notably NGC5474 a much smaller (but closer) spiral.  It is very small in my image but the strikingly aqua coloured NGC5471 can be discerned in the full size tiff.

I took a total of 35 x 300sec lights and the usual darks, flats and bias using my modded Canon 60D on the AA 102 EDT with planostar FF. Guiding by PHD 2 through the AA finder guider at 328 mm fl.

Stacked in DSS (see below) and processed with Photoshop.

By 'eck did I have a struggle with DSS.  I tried to stack one final image from two separate sessions in two groups but that produced a tiff which was way too noisy.  So I threw everything together in one group and stacked it and the resulting tiff was remarkably better.  Don't ask me why.

If I get chance I might try to add data to it as it is forecast to be clear here almost every night until Tuesday.

Thanks for looking and any feedback.

post-35542-0-74816800-1429119631_thumb.j

Archived