Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any1 in yorkshire got an 8" edge hd ??

Can only just make out 2x fuzzy bands on jupiter.

Scopes well cooled.

Not collimated but its new outta the box and looks ok with the focus/star trick.

Using a 7mm celestron x-cel lx and baader zoom 8-24mm.

Just wanted to pop round and compare views n thoughts..

7mm is a lot of mag, I think that's asking a lot unless seeing and transparency are both very good ... I get pretty mushy views with my scope on any EP below 12 mm unless everything is perfect . What's yours like at about 18 mm , that seems to be clear for me

Skipped through the baader zoom and 12-18 look better but still cant see much.

So much for it being a lunar/planetaty scope.

was expecting a little more detail that this.

Had about 10 viewings with it now, most with seeing of 3/5.

You need to spend time on Jupiter to see the more subtle details. Your eye sort of "trains" itself as you view and after a while you start to pick up the fainter belts and other features. Usually I spend at least an hour and often a lot more studying the planet.

If the seeing is not so good (and we have had quite a lot of evenings like that recently) then it's more challenging. I've had nights when I could barely see more than the 2 main bands with my 12" scope.

Hi,

I just put an order for an AVX with 8 EdgHD (my first ever telescope), and can not wait for it  :angel8:. And I wanted to ask what type and spec of eyepieces are you guys using, which is the most essential and what of them I should keep away from, of course from your point of view.

Thanks

Personally I use excel lx's , mainly the 18mm and 12mm but as the scope is f10 its pretty easy on eyepieces . Also as its a tracking mount there's probably no real need for the wide field so maybe get yourself a used Televue plossl on abs , they crop up occasionally

Archived