Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whirlpool

Peakedge

My first galaxy since been struggling to differentiate between the required settings for galaxies and nebulae on the DSLR. Hopefully sorted but sure some of you will tell me how to improve this.

Only bias frames added as am currently struggling producing effective flats for some reason. Guess the t-shirt is past it's best!!!

Anyway, the picture, curves in CS3 and cropped for effect.

16 x 300s @ ISO1600. Gear below.

Thanks for looking.

David

post-39281-0-67478500-1428927866_thumb.j

Some nice data there.  If you have PS you can install Gradient exterminator to even out the background (deselect the galaxy first).  Then with a few iterations of selective layering and smart sharp, it will look really good.

Carole 

Deselecting the galaxy:

Use the lasso tool and draw around the galaxy, you need to feather (box on top bar) around 5 or 6 so you don't draw a hard line around the galaxy.  Then do select inverse and this will select everything except the galaxy.

Gradient Exterminator, is a downloadable plugin which costs a small amount, I think I paid £32 for it a few years ago.  The download will tell you how to install it.  It should not however be used instead of taking flats, though does have it's uses in this instance.  

If you can afford it, I bought a video by Adam block (around £65) when I first started processing, and whilst much of it was way over my head at the time, I picked up a lot of useful basic tips as well, and then remembered the ability to do more advanced procedures, which i went back to when I was ready.

http://www.caelumobservatory.com/video/dvdpscs3.shtml

Carole 

Thanks Carole

I guess that this response and that on the 'other' forum are linked by flats. :smiley:

I have downloaded the trial version of the plug-in and had a play. It seems quite impressive. I think I will redo my flats, restack, and process with GradientXterminator and repost the result.

David

Archived