EP advice for power seeker 114eq?

MrManQ

Ok, I have had my new power seeker cheapo for a few weeks, getting used to the existing 20mm erecting eye piece, the 3rd allow and the 4mm lense, all bog standard celestrons. I can't afford a new mount at the time and know I will be upgrading to a bigger scope in a few months time.

In the meantime, I'm considering adding some more lenses and filters, don't know why, just seems logical thing to do for learning more.

I've seen these kits available:

15 mm Kellner Eyepiece - 1.25"

9 mm Kellner Eyepiece - 1.25"

#80A Blue Filter - 1.25"

#25 Red Filter - 1.25"

Moon Filter - 1.25"

for £40

And...

• 15mm Kellner Eyepiece

• 6 mm Plössl Eyepiece

• 2× Barlow Lens with T-threads

• #80A Blue Planetary Filter

• #25 Red Planetary Filter

• Moon Filter

• Micro Fiber Cloth

for £80

As these eps are all 1.25" I assume I can use them on a future scope, but are any of them worth buying or should I consider something else? Maybe better but 2nd hand?

If it helps I want to do little of everything, planets, star splitting, moon, some dso attempts. Im an excited newbie.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

I would avoid the Kellner eyepieces they are very basic and not worth purchasing as additional items.

Never used a filter in 15 years for having scopes, so I cannot see any use in purchasing them.

Not sure what specification the 114 is, ahve a feeling it is one that I do not like.

As in the tube is short but the focal length is long.

I think it is given as 114 and 1000mm focal length, so around f/7.

Try Alan at Sky's the Limit for budget items, he does a series 500 plossl at £18, you could get 3 for £54 (bit less) if wanted.

They will not be great but better then Kellners I suspect. He also does a Premium plossl at £24 so 2 of those for £48 may be a better idea.

Not sure about a barlow, depends on the scope specification.

If the tube is about 500mm and the focal length 1000mm then forget a barlow, there is already one built into the focuser, and the addition of a second is not good.

Thanks Ronin,   It's the longer one, so no barlow built in.  yes, its the 114 with 900m so f/8.  its cheap, the mount is pants, but it's my first one, so happy to spend a few bob on some plossl to use in my next scope.

Cheers for heads up on Alan, have just ordered a 10mm and offered on a 6.5mm.

That means Ill have 4mm, 6.5mm, 10mm, 20mm and I also have a bit on a 7.5mm plossl too.

I wondered if I would actually use filters, but now I've heard people saying they dont, might just leave them.

Thanks for your advice.

J

I think the one filter that people really use is a moon filter, the moon can be bright.

Equally having a residual image on the retina for 30 seconds is I find amusing - got told off for being "childish" for that.

For some reason they didn't tell the 6 year old that was doing it with me who also found it highly amusing.

I think filters most people use tend to be the LP, and nebula filters.

But people mention "filters" and someone makes a kit up with "filters" just they are completely different filters.

I cant see the value/cost in either of those two kits. If you want a kit that is better value for money and a good starting point, go for the Celestron Eye Opener kit, or the Revelation photo-visual kit.

Kellner eyepieces really are the cheap of cheap.

Went out for a drive again in my new 10mm plossl and 2x barlow, bit breezy so a little wobble, but was impressed at the clarity of Jupiter.  I saw more light and shade than ever before, and detail amidst the bands.

Think I saw Calisto and Io cross paths too.

Got a glimpse of Venus earlier in the evening, was quite low so a lot of flutter, but could see it's phase and not the bluest of colours, but it was a wobbly windy outing.

Should received my 7mm soon for a more intimate view and Ive ordered a clamp for my digicam too.   Happy days !

Archived